If you are required to file Form 8938, you must report your financial accounts maintained by a foreign financial institution.
The following are considered reportable under the code:
- Financial accounts held at foreign banks and financial institutions
- Stocks, bonds, or other securities issued by a non-U.S. person and not held through an investment account
- Notes or Bonds issued by a foreign person
- Any interest in a foreign entity, such as a foreign corporation, foreign partnership, or foreign estate or trust
- Personal residences and rental properties—only if they are held by a foreign partnership, corporation, trust, or estate