foreign tax return

It is on my foreign tax return, so I can take this deduction

U.S. Expat Taxes are determined under U.S. tax rules, not those of a foreign country. The variations between what is deductible in one country versus another can sometimes result in significant differences between the foreign tax return amounts reported abroad and on the U.S. tax return. When the reported taxable income is exactly the same in both countries’ tax returns, something is likely to be wrong, and you should consult a U.S. expat CPA or an Attorney to ensure you’re claiming all deductions available to you in your home country and abroad.